[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI-151: test drive

Alex Lam S.L. alexlamsl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 09:11:55 UTC 2011

Tested:

OI-151 live CD
http://dlc-int.openindiana.org/151/oi-dev-151-x86-20110608-1.iso

System:

Intel Core i3-2100
ASUS P8H61 PLUS
8GB DDR3
Nvidia G210
3x 2TB + 1x 2TB spare

The aim is to replace the existing office network equipments which
consists of 3 boxes of dust, running Linux and OpenBSD. (Disclaimer: I
have very little knowledge of Linux let alone OpenBSD or Solaris. I am
a physicist by training, and for the most part a comfortable end-user
of Windows.)

I have to say, whatever you guys have done, it is amazing. Within a
single day, I managed to install the OS, set up 3-way ZFS mirror, CIFS
shares, DNS, DHCP and SVN services.

The only quirks I've read into so far is the device driver for Intel
AMT (which I don't use anyway), and the occasion freeze of the Gnome
desktop. As for the latter - how should I recover from it? My gut
feeling is that it is triggered by graphic updates on the desktop, and
Ctrl+Alt+F1 doesn't seem to help other than making the whole screen go
blank. The rest of the system (e.g. DNS server) is still functional,
though.

All in all - thank you very much!

Alex.