[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI-151: test drive

sysop at lavabit.com sysop at lavabit.com
Wed Jun 22 12:53:57 UTC 2011

> Tested:
>
> OI-151 live CD
> http://dlc-int.openindiana.org/151/oi-dev-151-x86-20110608-1.iso
>

> System:
>
> Intel Core i3-2100
> ASUS P8H61 PLUS
> 8GB DDR3
> Nvidia G210
> 3x 2TB + 1x 2TB spare
>

> The aim is to replace the existing office network equipments which
> consists of 3 boxes of dust, running Linux and OpenBSD. (Disclaimer: I
> have very little knowledge of Linux let alone OpenBSD or Solaris. I am
> a physicist by training, and for the most part a comfortable end-user
> of Windows.)
>

> I have to say, whatever you guys have done, it is amazing. Within a
> single day, I managed to install the OS, set up 3-way ZFS mirror, CIFS
> shares, DNS, DHCP and SVN services.
>
> The only quirks I've read into so far is the device driver for Intel
> AMT (which I don't use anyway), and the occasion freeze of the Gnome
> desktop. As for the latter - how should I recover from it? My gut
> feeling is that it is triggered by graphic updates on the desktop, and
> Ctrl+Alt+F1 doesn't seem to help other than making the whole screen go
> blank. The rest of the system (e.g. DNS server) is still functional,
> though.
>

> All in all - thank you very much!
>

> Alex.

I installed the same version to another desktop yesterday and had quite a
few lock ups through the afternoon/evening, however today I've not had a
single lock up, no changes in workload etc.
One system change I made was to set speedstep to use poll-mode

/etc/power.conf
cpupm enable poll-mode

Can you ssh in when the desktop/application freezes?