[OpenIndiana-discuss] About the Gnome "slowdowns"

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Wed Jun 22 15:30:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 19:24 +0530, Sriram Narayanan wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I've been using openindiana as my primary desktop environment while I
> work on Belenix related development (illumos kernel, rpm, etc).
>
> I've not felt a single slow down ever in my use of OI. I've used both
> build 147 as well as 148. IPS sucks for me given the low bandwidth and
> the calculations it does each time. But Gnome itself it fine.
>
> However, I've seen these recent threads (one on branding, and one test
> drive) where Gnome was mentioned as being slow.
>
> Has anyone else also experienced this ? Are there any known reasons ?

Pretty much everything seems to run slower on "Slowaris" on the desktop
front.  If in doubt, buy another hd, same as you're using now, and make
a native install Linux poison of choice, e.g. Fedora 15, Debian-6, etc.
(i.e. not virtualized) and the difference is quite noticeable.

Solaris derivatives like OI have their attractions.  But speed isn't one
of them. At least this is my experience, since you asked. Let the flame
fest begin...

--
Regards-- Ken Gunderson