[OpenIndiana-discuss] About the Gnome "slowdowns"

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc
Wed Jun 22 18:45:43 UTC 2011

I mostly recall seeing that statement around the transition period from
SunOS 4.x (later called Solaris 1.x) to SunOS 5.x (Solaris 2.x).  This
was where Sun transitioned from a BSD style Unix to the AT&T Sys V style
Unix.

Also, admins were accustomed to the BSD userland, and not happy about
the other changes occurring to.  If you look at the Solaris FAQ from
Casper Dik, there are still references from admins not happy about
losing the BSD rc files (i.e. rc, rc.network, rc.local) and getting
stuck with the Sys V rc directories, each directory filled with files.

Jerry