[OpenIndiana-discuss] About the Gnome "slowdowns"

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Thu Jun 23 01:12:14 UTC 2011

On Jun 22, 2011, at 4:16 PM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> On 06/22/11 08:43 AM, Sriram Narayanan wrote:
>> "Slowlaris" was a term used only for the TCP/IP stack of Solaris 9.
>
> "Slowlaris" originally came out of the performance difference between
> SunOS 4.x and Solaris 2.0, a decade before Solaris 9.   Later Solaris
> releases improved things greatly - 2.3 or 2.4 was the first release
> most admins were willing to widely deploy.
>
> --
> 	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
> 	 Oracle Solaris Platform Engineering: X Window System

By my memory, 2.3 was tolerable with _lots_ of patches (all one
could get) installed, and 2.4 was better.  2.5 was usable with
a more normal approach to maintenance (as needed, or recommended
and security patches only), and 2.6 (with the socket re-implementation
and printing subsystem reworking) was pretty good.  Everything since
then was fine, although what I've seen, a lot of folks skipped 7 and
9, not because anything was wrong with them, but because they didn't
want to duplicate hardware for testing and migration.  Truth be told,
I think without zones and ZFS, some folks would have dumped Solaris,
but those in 10 were enough to keep them using it, if not as much
as they would have if the price/performance (not to mention power,
space, and cooling) of SPARC (prior to the
T-series systems anyway) had better kept up with x86.

--
The waitress asked, "Do you want lemon or no lemon with that iced tea?"
Naturally, I said "yes", and then burst out laughing, because there simply