[OpenIndiana-discuss] oracle removes 32bit x86 cpu support for solaris 11 will OI do same?

Gary Driggs gdriggs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 03:42:01 UTC 2011

On Jun 22, 2011, at 7:19 PM, Ben Taylor wrote:

> I can almost see dumping 32-bit x86.
> but dumping 64-bit US-III/IV?

Use a kill-a-watt or a smart PDU to compare the power draw for these older systems. Do you really want them in production? Solaris 10 isn't going away if you do. q.v. several BSD & Linux flavors.

> Clearly, Oracle is going to use this as a stick to force customers to
> upgrade to new hardware

Nobody forces me to upgrade anything -- hardware or OS. But if in the long term it will cost more in electricity alone, why would I want to hang on to older hardware? I can understand "vintage" desktop users but I don't know many folks that wish to run vintage servers unless they're tech museums.

-Gary