[OpenIndiana-discuss] Why is the middle mouse button not working in OI 148?

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Mar 3 14:14:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 01:53:00AM +0100, Michael Schuster wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 01:00, Gary Mills <mills at cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:
> > I have a Sun Type 6 USB 3-button mouse connected to an x86 box running
> > OI 148.  After the upgrade from Opensolaris 134, the middle mouse
> > button stopped working for pasting.  It acts the same as the right
> > button now.  I added an entry for this mouse to the OI HCL, but it was
> > removed.  Shouldn't the HCL list devices that don't work?
>
> suggestions/guesses (since a) I'm typing this at a laptop sans mouse
> b) mouse works fine on my WS with OI 148, guess is all I can do):
>
> - I would look more closely into the (WW) you show last
> - use xev to find out what X thinks about your mouse button
> - is someone/thing calling xmodmap during your session startup?

Well, I was reading man pages for xorg.conf and mousedrv, thinking of
hald next, when I decided I'd better check on exactly how the middle
mouse button was misbehaving.  I was amazed to see that it worked for
pasting in a gnome-terminal window once again.  I didn't change
anything, not even logging out and in again.  All I can think of is
that it must have gotten into some funny state, and now it's back to
normal.

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I'm pleased to see that it was
detected correctly by Xorg.