[OpenIndiana-discuss] Setup serial console on ttyc (the third serial port)

wessels wessels147 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 15:59:58 UTC 2011

What puzzles is
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/i86pc/ml/cpr_wakecode.s
probably that needs to be patched as well for completeness but it's
place in the OS and it's working are not clear to me.

What I meant by building consconfig without running nightly.sh is that
a complete build takes about an hour and a half... So I was hoping to
shave some time off by building only the relevant parts  but that's
probably not the best thing to do for a novice like me.

I was hoping on replacing a few files and not installing a complete
new os with all risks regarding my attempt at modifying the console.
I'll put up the webrev this weekend after I can get a clean build of a
stock oi_148.

Again many thanks, the patches (boot_console.c, consplat.c, xen.h)
compile but I get a ton of unrelated errors further ahead in the build
process. Which I need to resolve first.

<begin rant mode>
The process of setting up a build environment is not for the
fainthearted. Several pages are on the wiki (including a few by
myself) but nothing clean which clearly states "this applies to
openindiana 148" The most recent instructions differ from the illumos
instructions. And then comes the fun part selecting repositories to
build the onnv part of openindiana_148 as on the dvd. What repo do I
need to select to end with the same binaries as on the dvd? There's
onnv-gate, mq_onnv-gate , openindiana and more. They're all related
but in what way. In my opinion this is why quite a few people give up
on the project. It's so much more complicate than other operating
systems.
<end rant mode>