[OpenIndiana-discuss] Building a machine

Gabriel de la Cruz gabriel.delacruz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 12:13:37 UTC 2011

Hi,

ATOM wont support ECC memory, so It wont make a mission critical
storage device, but if you are storing movies, probability you will
never notice a memory corruption problem. The data will be many times
safer than in a regular file system, but wont be as safe as in a
server using ECC memory.

I dont remember the details, but:
I think that the ASUS AT3IONT-I was working for me with an early
release of OI. I remember some OpenGL clips happening from time to
time but the ion chipset was working.
It was a long time ago, and I didn't spent much time testing the
setup, but I somehow remember that all the drivers were at least up
and running.

The double core ATOM (2 chipsets mounted on the same socket) gives
decent performance, and the system can run under 50W, probably even
under 40W. Atom 330 got the end f life, but it is still a good choice.

This motherboard can be overclocked easily, and will still keep a very
small power consumption.

The deluxe version uses a nice external power adapter so it wont
produce any noise apart from the hardrives (but I have no idea if the
other deluxe features are supported in OI such as the wireless card).

The architecture is very good for its purpose, but it is not a server.
I am running yaVDR on it.

BR
Gab