[OpenIndiana-discuss] The 4k transition & the 512bit emulation in hdds

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 03:15:10 UTC 2011

Long ago, drives allowed jumper selecting any of several sector sizes (e.g. 512 to 4096 or 8192 in powers of two).  Then the PC came along w/ a large market and things settled on 512 byte hardware sectors.  Over the years we've told the software an assortment of lies to get around  our lack of prescience.  Now we're looking for a new set of lies to tell the software.  Same song different verse :-(