[OpenIndiana-discuss] [illumos-Developer] SES support for Super Micro chassises?

wessels wessels147 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 11:21:47 UTC 2011

>> Or use sg_senddiag from sg3_utils package.
>
> Isn't this Linux only?
>
> The OS independent way of sending SCSI commands to arbitrary targets (since
> August 1986) is libscg. It is e.g. part of cdrtools.
>
> BTW: There is also sformat(1), see:
>
>        ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/schily
>
> that includes a lot of SCSI handling interfaces for disks. sformat was the
> first command that allows to format disks while SunOS was still running (Sun
> forced their customers to boot into a stand alone format utility at that time)
> and sformat was the example for the format utility that has been later written
> by Sun.
>
> Jörg
I'm wasn't aware of your scsi tools in cdrtools. The name is somewhat
misleading. A few days ago I wrote a post to zfs-discuss on methods
for resizing disks in order to ensure an equal size between different
disks. I suggested the sg3_utils in that post. Can your tools resize a
disk and restore it's capacity as well? I don't have time to look into
your tools at the moment. If so I'll post a follow up and include your
tools as well.