[OpenIndiana-discuss] [illumos-Developer] SES support for Super Micro chassises?

wessels wessels147 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 13:09:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Joerg Schilling
<Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> wessels <wessels147 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sorry for my typo, I asked because the term resizing may be seen in many ways.
>
>> Sorry for the typo. By resizing I mean to format the drive to a
>> capacity equal or less than it's maximum size. When a READ CAPACITY
>> (opcode 0x25) is issued the formatted size is returned not the maximum
>> capacity. This is also called short-stroking.
>
> Sformat allows to do this since 1986, this was one of the reason to write it ;-)
>
> Sformat has one problem, it currently does not support Solaris x86 disk labels,
> but if you just like to change the defect handling in order to influence the
> net capacity, you can use it to reformat the disk and then use other tools for
> partitioning.
That's the whole idea and what people are looking for in order to
prevent nasty surprises when issuing a zpool replace.
I'm using a linux live cd and a small script to create "standard"
sizes on new disks. After which the disks are installed in their
destination chassis. From moment one the disk controllers and OS and
zpool always see the correct size and there is no need to slice or
partition the disk and worry about disabled caches etc. An extra step
but a necessary one if your buying non-oem disks and don't want any
size related errors in the future.
Could you please elaborate on the sformat "problem"? Do you mean it
doesn't resize existing data structures(vtoc, slices etc) like parted
can in some limited cases?