[OpenIndiana-discuss] measuring fragmentation on ZFS?

Brett Dikeman brett.dikeman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 20:45:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy at karlsbakk.net> wrote:

> If the filesystem was filled up, and you added another VDEV, the initial VDEV(s) will stay full until you either destroy the pool,
> replace the drives with larger ones (given autoexpand=on) or wait for block pointer rewrite, which may take a while....

We've expanded all the drives in the pool.  Since fragmentation is
largely a function of free space and we had to let things get pretty
full, I imagine fragmentation is pretty bad.  I'd like to measure it
if possible.

Also, like I said, we have the option to easily move data on+off the
pool from another drive.

-B