[OpenIndiana-discuss] [zfs-discuss] best migration path from Solaris 10

Deano deano at rattie.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 19 15:18:18 UTC 2011

Nexenta are a great company (I'm no way affiliated with them btw), if for no
other reason being willing to invest in Illumos and by that OpenIndiana and
NCP (for which they charge nothing). If you need a large enterprise
commercially backed storage server system, NextentaStor is the answer.

If you want a CLI OS, NCP or OpenIndiana text only will fulfill that spot
(there is also illumos-extra which is even more stripped down to bare
minimum), if a GUI or desktop is required OpenIndiana has that covered.

Whilst there isn't yet official commercial support for OpenIndiana, that is
something that has been brought up and the feeling is that it is something
that would like to be offered at some point in time, it is just the
logistics and organization of that support has to be setup. If it became a
deal breaker I'd suggest talking to a senior person of OI, as it possible
something could be arranged.

I expect we are no more than 6 months away from Illumos being the defacto
open source foundation for all the major distributions, which will then
start freeing up a lot of developer resources to continue and improve
things, beyond this initial get everything together period.

ZFS open source future is being hammered out, with hopefully a cross
platform working body to promote and move it forward appearing. I know
everyone involved is both eager to make sure it's truly open and portable
(with support for Illumos/OI, FreeBSD, Linux and OS-X in working or
in-progress) and that it has a future regardless of any code drops from
Oracle (they are of course welcome if they come, but clearly at this point
it can't be relied upon).

Personally I think OpenIndiana with Illumos foundations, is a great
enterprise quality open source OS with a great future and a bunch of really
committed guys and gals behind it.

My 2P,
Deano