[OpenIndiana-discuss] NFS hang during copy

gonczi at comcast.net gonczi at comcast.net
Mon Mar 21 13:25:22 UTC 2011

Hello,

When looking at (nearly) hung sytems, it maybe enlightening to take a few snapshots of all the kernel threads
E.g.: fire up mdb, then enter a set of commands, like below:

mdb -k
::log /tmp/threads.txt
::threadlist -v
::quit

On a busy system, (where you are burning cpu time), profiling with lockstat is a good first step.
something like: `lockstat -kgIw sleep 5` ( off the top of my head, please double check the options
via `man lockstat`)

Note that lockstat just samples what is on cpu, so if you are spending your cycles waiting on locks or cv-s,
lockstat will report this as " you are spending your time running some form of mwait"

mpstat tends to be useful for coarse grain analysis, at lest you get an idea what type of
activity is responsible for the poor performance.

Steve