[OpenIndiana-discuss] [zfs-discuss] best migration path from Solaris 10

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Mon Mar 21 23:37:03 UTC 2011

On 3/21/2011 2:59 PM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:

> I *hate* talking about unreleased product schedules

:).

> but I think you can expect a beta with a month or two, perhaps less.
> We've already got an alpha that we've handed out in limited
> quantities.

Actually, I read about that alpha; one of my coworkers was at SCALE 9x,
if I'd known at the time I would have had him pick up a CD ;).

> Once you dive under the controlled UI (which you can do), you
> basically are breaking your support contract.

Meh :(, that rules it out for me; I need to run our own custom stuff to
integrate it into our identity management platform.

> add-on features like HA clustering, the management UI,
> auto-tiering/auto-sync, etc.

HA clustering I would actually be interested in, depending on pricing;
but unfortunately not in an appliance-only availability.

> There have been some discussions, but figuring out how to make that
> commercially worthwhile is challenging

Agreed. If not support contracts, what about engineering services
available on a time/materials basis? That would cover my main concern of
having expertise available in case of a critical failure. There might
also be occasions where a specific bug has already been identified, but
local resources lack sufficient time or knowledge to efficiently fix it.
One of the people I've spoken to off-line mentioned a handful of known
opensolaris bugs he'd really like to see resolved in NCP and would be
willing to pay somebody to make it happen.

Thanks for the info...

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson at csupomona.edu
California State Polytechnic University  |  Pomona CA 91768