[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI boot problem

Matt Connolly matt.connolly.au at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 22:56:10 UTC 2011

On 23/03/2011, at 20:28, GUY WOOLLEY <guy.woolley at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Thanks Matt - you've put your finger on the problem. I have no /a/boot/grub !
>
> I'd noticed that the live USB image has /boot/grub with the entries you identify. I wasn't sure what to make of that.
>
> I don't really get your line
>
> "exchanging PATH for the mount path to what was the active boot environment, not just the root of the pool."

I meant PATH is where you've mounted you desired boot environment, which appears to be /a. I wasn't sure if you'd simply mounted the 'rpool' into /a or 'rpool/ROOT/be-name'.

> what was the active boot environment ? How do I discover that ?

I'm no expert on the internals of the beadm tool. Or even if it can mount boot environments from another pool.

But if you 'zfs list' you should see rpool/ROOT/opensolaris (or similar, that's what my original one was called, and look for the files in there.

In any case, can't you run the 'installgrub' command sourcing the stage1 and stage2 files from the live USB mount and install them onto your drive??

Matt.