[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana hosting advocating?

Mark mark0x01 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 06:53:14 UTC 2011

On 25/03/2011 12:53 p.m., Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Friday, March 25, 2011 01:06 AM, Jesus Cea wrote:
>>
>> When I check around for hosting services (I do it a lot, part of my job)
>> I always check availability of Solaris like OSs. I must say that the
>> result is sad.
>>

> Not withstanding available hosters, it should be kinda hard to find a
> hoster when the/some devs are calling chaps who use OI in production
> idiots and to wait for a stable release?

Since that take casts me amongst the "idiots", I beleive it has always
been the case that a company adopts what it can best support.
One end of that is windows, thru Linux to Solaris at the other extreme.

Personally I'd rate the other end in the "idiot" category, but then that
is only my [expert] opinion and YMMV.

When I find another way that can let me recover Tb of nfs and cifs file
systems from an OS rebuild, in under 60 minutes, then my opinion might
change. Until then, it is still the best ZFS platform I have available.

Mark.