[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana-discuss Digest, Vol 8, Issue 52

Butch Whitby jwhitby3 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 13:11:18 UTC 2011

> On 25/03/2011 12:53 p.m., Christopher Chan wrote:
>> On Friday, March 25, 2011 01:06 AM, Jesus Cea wrote:
>>>
>>> When I check around for hosting services (I do it a lot, part of my job)
>>> I always check availability of Solaris like OSs. I must say that the
>>> result is sad.
>>>
>> Not withstanding available hosters, it should be kinda hard to find a
>> hoster when the/some devs are calling chaps who use OI in production
>> idiots and to wait for a stable release?
>>
> Since that take casts me amongst the "idiots", I beleive it has always
> been the case that a company adopts what it can best support.
> One end of that is windows, thru Linux to Solaris at the other extreme.
>
> Personally I'd rate the other end in the "idiot" category, but then that
> is only my [expert] opinion and YMMV.
>
> When I find another way that can let me recover Tb of nfs and cifs file
> systems from an OS rebuild, in under 60 minutes, then my opinion might
> change. Until then, it is still the best ZFS platform I have available.
>
> Mark.

> End of OpenIndiana-discuss Digest, Vol 8, Issue 52
Likewise that casts me as one of the "idiots" as well.  My workstations
are OpenIndiana, and 2 production boxes are as well.  Then again I also
use build 134 in production because of xVM.  We run a lot of our test
rigs, and a couple of production systems on top of it.

I also want to say that while I fully understand the use of the term
"stable" to describe something in IT, it has become an over used word.
We run a multitude of platforms here (CentOS, Solaris 10) because they
are "stable", then again CentOS 5.5 hasn't seen an update in over a
month and it's starting to feel more abandoned than anything else...but
it's "stable".

--
Butch