[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI boot problem

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Mon Mar 28 12:32:46 UTC 2011

> Of course it is not a
> solution to remember seven switches to perform a simply task.

You can accept the defaults, then you need none -- or maybe one.

> What if
> someone would tell you that in Solaris one needs to enter
>
> $ copy -x4 -z7 -q66 original_file new_file
>
> to copy a file?

You are missing the point.  If something needs to be done regularly
on the command line, with always the same switches, then use a shell
alias.  Yes, I have one for cp. :-)  (It's "cp -ip".)

The shutdown command certainly is not broken.  If indeed the Linux
newbie must be catered to, then we can change the defaults, and tell
them to "just use shutdown".

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim                     Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J. H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt