[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI boot problem

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Mon Mar 28 13:24:48 UTC 2011

> > The shutdown command certainly is not broken.  If indeed the Linux
> > newbie must be catered to, then we can change the defaults, and tell
> > them to "just use shutdown".
>
> This command does not do the expected thing and that is the problem.

Sorry, I disagree.  The shutdown command has been doing what I expect
it to for many years.

> The GNU grep and the Solaris grep have different command line
> switches but they do exactly the same thing. The same applies to
> find, etc. So yes I think the defaults must change

Changing the default is different from changing the command.

> and the command
> should do what is supposed to do.

Well, it does already. :-)

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim                     Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J. H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt