[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI boot problem

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Mon Mar 28 13:27:23 UTC 2011

Nikola M. writes:
> On 03/28/11 01:31 PM, Toomas Soome wrote:
> in opensolaris based distributions you *can* now use reboot as well,
> which was updated to be safe, but its *not* safe for solaris 10 or older
> ones.  if its still too hard to understand, you can always just use
> shutdown from gnome system menu....
> >
> > and still, if you wanna have linux commands, just use linux.
>
> Agreed.
> Just we need to think of expanding user base,admin and dev base
> and init X does not remind me on halt.
>
> Perheaps to make turnoff alias for init 5 (or 6)?
> Do you think that present halt command could be made to shutdown power
> to machine by default in OpenSolaris based distributions?
> Or to change shutdown default behavior?
>
> I think present reboot command can not shut down machine or I am wrong?

There are two "families" of commands:

 - init and shutdown (shutdown is a script that calls init)
 - halt, poweroff, and reboot (they are hardlinks to one binary)

Please look at:

  init(1M)
  shutdown(1M)
  halt(1M)  (the same man page as poweroff)
  reboot(1M)

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim                     Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J. H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt