[OpenIndiana-discuss] reboot/shutdown commands (Was: Re: OI boot problem)

Kevin J. Woolley kjw at javabunny.net
Mon Mar 28 15:45:17 UTC 2011

On 28 March 2011 08:24, Jonathan Adams <t12nslookup at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) "the more progressive amongst us do" I take exception to this
> statement ... some of the GNU commands are broken on Solaris, and
> secure accounts should have as little in it's path (if you use root or
> any secure account) as possible so that you can be _sure_ of which app
> you are using.

Surely you expect that people who are interested in using an
alternative version of a command are capable of maintaining their PATH
so they know exactly which tool they're using.

> 2) "reboot" does what it says on the tin, "shutdown" works as would be
> expected (you can use shutdown to run many different types of
> shutdown/init) ...
>
> Please do not change these to make them more like Linux, please do not
> change the init levels to make them match Linux, IMO the Linux init
> states are broken.

I don't remember anyone suggesting changing the initlevels.

> If you're using a server then expect to know some of the commands for
> running the server. If you're using the desktop there is a nice
> graphical "Shutdown" routine. If you're in front of the hardware and
> you want to power down (and it's an ATX case) press the power button
> once.

You've never seen a Linux server before?  Strange -- they seem to be
all over the place.

Simply put, no one is going to force you to use it.  It's not going to
cause the system to explode, and it's unlikely an untrusted local user
is going to be able to root a system with it, or anything similarly
catastrophic.

http://bikeshed.com/

Cheers,

kjw