[OpenIndiana-discuss] reboot/shutdown commands (Was: Re: OI boot problem)

Toomas Soome Toomas.Soome at mls.ee
Mon Mar 28 15:58:59 UTC 2011

On 28.03.2011, at 18:51, Guido Berhoerster wrote:

> I don't see what's progressive about the BSD and Linux shutdown
> implementations, they just have different commandline options and
> little more useful functionality (ie. message and more flexible
> scheduling).
> Solaris /usr/sbin/shutdown is itself a shellscript wrapping
> around init.  Commandline options between BSD and Linux differ
> and most of them (except -r, -h, time and message) seem pretty
> much useless anyway.
>
> Manpages are at
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=shutdown&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+8.2-RELEASE&format=html
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=shutdown&apropos=0&sektion=8&manpath=SuSE+Linux%2Fi386+11.3&format=html
>
> Code at
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sbin/shutdown/
> http://svn.savannah.nongnu.org/viewvc/sysvinit/trunk/src/?root=sysvinit

i think you need to add --help and --do-really-fast-boot and --be-quiet-and-just-fucking-halt  as well.

ah, and stuff like "-x  (this option is now outdated and will be removed in future)" and "-z (this option was removed, use -x instead)"

maybe you should consider fixing those broken gnu tools before breaking solaris any more?

toomas