[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI boot problem

Bill Sommerfeld sommerfeld at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 28 21:44:15 UTC 2011

On 03/28/11 06:53, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:
> Really? Do you know how many times my system became useless
> just because I had used reboot?

you're not providing an *actionable* complaint here with specifics about
how the system became "useless".

It should not be necessary to use "init 6" for the system to survive a
reboot, though some applications may be confused by this action.

I used reboot all the time on opensolaris/openindiana systems without
any problem; in some cases I've had better availability from reboot due
to hangs in shutdown scripts.  live upgrade was about the only thing I
used that required init 6 rather than reboot, and I eventually worked
around that by running the LU shutdown script manually before reboot.
then I migrated systems to IPS packaging & beadm and even that became
unnecessary.

					- Bill