[OpenIndiana-discuss] Linux vs. Solaris

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 14:00:45 UTC 2011

A friend of mine who is a long time Linux user but with
an interest in OpenIndiana and OpenBSD and NetBSD
asked me to send the following. Message.

A.S.

----------------------
Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece

----

> Gary Gender wrote:

> For example, init 0 on Linux vs init 5
> on Solaris and init 5 vs init 6.  I'm not sure if all of them can be
> resolved for everyone.  I came from the other end...  A long time
> Solaris admin going to Linux.  Why didn't everyone scream that Linux
> doesn't do the right thing?

> The problem is always legacy stuff.  If you change the behaviors then
> expect that things that people wrote for Solaris to fail.  For example,
> napp-it, webmin, etc.

+1
----------------------
Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece
Why should solaris change the commands to immitate linux ? Who said
the linux behavior is correct and the solaris one is wrong ?

Neither a install-time choice is needed/correct. What if i use the
"linux way" in my box and then go to fix some problem on my friend's box
that didn't choose the linux way ?

The proper "fix" is to educate solaris users. I know that the manpage
for reboot has all the information, but a put_OS_here user will suppose
the behavior is the same and won't read the manpage. Also, it is difficult
to read 100 manpages in order to use the system. A wiki page or tutorial
or whatever that contains useful information would be the best solution IMHO
to get things started and from then ofcourse there are the manpages.

The wiki could have stuff that a new solaris user will need like the following:

- How can one seehttp://obelix.ee.duth.gr/~apostolo
http://asyropoulos.wordpress.com
http://hypercomputation.blogspot.com/ the amount of used/free memory ? (On linux its "free")
- How can one find out the hardware he has in order to search for a certain
  bug (on linux its "lspci")
- Same for Cpu info (on Linux its "cat /proc/cpuinfo")
- Kernel information and errors ? (Solaris has dmesg as Linux but it
  doesn't print as much information)
- The /var/log/foo.log of Linux is /var/adm/bar.log on Solaris.
- ifconfig on linux is ifconfig -a
- "ifconfig _interface_ up" is "ifconfig _interface_ plumb"
- route -n on linux is route get

And other similar stuff. Of course it's not hard to remember
shutdown -i6 -y -g0 but one needs to learn it (and its not
that different from "shutdown -h now")