[OpenIndiana-discuss] zfs snapshot script

Matt Connolly matt.connolly.au at gmail.com
Sun May 1 13:46:03 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'm putting together a script to create zfs snapshots after a backup has been completed (via Apple TimeMachine or rsync for example). When I'm logged into the machine, I can only access the "zfs snapshot" command as root via "sudo" or "pfexec". Neither of these are available directly from a ssh command. For example:

client$ ssh user at server
server$ sudo zfs snapshot blah at blah -> works
..or..
server$ pfexec zfs snapshot blah at blah -> works

..but..

client$ ssh user at host zfs snapshot blah -> fails = permission denied
client$ ssh user at host pfexec zfs snapshot blah -> fails = permission denied
client$ ssh user at host sudo zfs snapshot blah -> fails = sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified

What would be the best practice for creating a zfs snapshot based on an external trigger (eg: message from client after a successful backup).

Regards,
Matt