[OpenIndiana-discuss] Getting started with OI...smb issues

John Sneddon oi at sneddo.net
Fri May 6 23:29:11 UTC 2011

 Hi,

 I've just done a fresh install of OI build 148 Server and I'm having a
 slight problem with SMB shares on my WDTV Live.

 I have imported my zpool from an OSol install, which was all fine, and
 the shares are showing up correctly with sharemgr():

 sneddo at StorageBox:~# sharemgr show -v
 default
 smb
         * /var/smb/cvol
                   c$=/var/smb/cvol       smb=(abe="false"
 guestok="false")      "Default Share"
 zfs
     zfs/storage/Audio
           /storage/Audio
                   Audio=/storage/Audio   smb=(guestok="true")
     zfs/storage/Images
           /storage/Images
                   Images=/storage/Images         smb=(guestok="true")

 I believe the smb service is running correctly:
 sneddo at StorageBox:~# pfexec svcs -a | grep smb
 disabled       13:35:12 svc:/network/smb/client:default
 online         13:35:32 svc:/network/shares/group:smb
 online         13:35:35 svc:/network/smb/server:default

 I can also connect to the shares just fine from my Mac, but with my
 WDTV Live I have two problems:

 1. The NETBIOS name is showing up as WORKGROUP - not really an issue,
 but would like to change it for WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor :P ).
 2. I cannot see any shares on the OI machine from the WDTV Live, even
 when connecting with root password (or my user account).

 Essentially I would like guest access to these shares, with the ability
 to login as a privileged account to make changes if required.

 Secondly, I'm just wondering how I edit the Grub menu to cut the
 timeout down a bit? I tried looking in /boot/grub, but nothing seemed to
 match up with what I was seeing.

 I'm sure these are pretty easy solutions, being new to OI I just
 haven't been able to work it out and it is starting to frustrate me!
 Time to consult the experts...

 Cheers,
 John