[OpenIndiana-discuss] Update info?

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Sat May 14 02:57:49 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 16:40 -0700, ken mays wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> Ref: http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/oi_151
>
> OI Release Engineering stated that construction of the consolidation images were underway so expectation is within the upcoming week (or two). Mainly said, TBA - but it was recently reported that there were no major showstoppers as of today. Let them spin their magic wands in the meanwhile!
>
> As of the other packages, there are some packages targeted after release and some available now. Check with the individual OI maintainers on that.
>
> Best thing is check oi_148(b)/IPS on any issues and ensure any issues get reported (and mentioned on oi-dev as well).
>
> ~ Ken Mays

That is great news.  Boy, it's been a long time coming and it will be
good for the project to have an actual release.

Spent a few hours putzing around with 148b today and it seems good.
Other than I still have to run update_drv to get it to see my Quadro
600.

With all the work necessary to get base OS ready for release post Oracle
take over my expectations w.r.t. package updates were none too high.
Still, this is one thing that will make or break OI with folks prompted
to take OI for a test drive post release announcement so I thought there
might have been some efforts going on behind the scenes in this regard.
For example, and I know it's out of the realm of reality, it would be a
big deal pr wise if the release shipped with Gnome 3, because, sadly,
bleeding edge package availability is the yardstick w/wh/many judge.

Thanks for the update.
--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>