[OpenIndiana-discuss] Moving an OI install to a new hard drive?

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Mon May 16 19:42:43 UTC 2011

Mark Humphreys wrote:
> Indeed.  On VMware, you should install the "VMware Tools" for Solaris after
> installing the operating system.  You will get better performance using the
> drivers written by the people who built the virtual hardware.
>
> As for the VMware Converter, I used it on Windows once; and, I believe
> there's a version for Linux, too.  But, instead, I tarred-up my Linux
> systems, created a new VM, and with the assistance of a second "helper VM"
> (or rescue CD) I received and extracted the tar files; modified the kernel
> module load file for virtual drivers (based-on the configuration of an
> already running similar Linux VM); and, re-installed the boot loader.
>
> You could probably try the same with OpenIndiana; but, by the time you've
> made a "helper VM", you would probably be better-off just to copy files over
> to the new systems.  :)

Yeah, I think you're right.  This is primarily a SAN, running napp-it on
top of OI.  I'm migrating it to a VM on top of ESXi 4.1, using pci
passthrough to give OI access to the sata controller the 6 raidz2 drives
are on.  One of the big wins here: if I present a vmxnet3 nic to OI, any
VM guests (like my ubuntu server) that have a vmxnet3 driver, can get
extremely high data transfer rates (I've been talking to someone with an
identical setup, and he gets about 5gb/sec transfer using NFS, although
I'm leaning to iSCSI, since that is where my datastore is now...)