[OpenIndiana-discuss] More processes: tuning regkpsize results in kernel panic

Andreas Jaekel jaekel at strato-rz.de
Wed May 18 16:36:43 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'd like to have more kernel threads than the default settings will allow.
(default is about 37k on x86)  The kernel parameter to tune is
called "segkpsize", which is the number of pages the kernel reserves
in it's memory arena for kernel thread stacks.

I've changed this parameter on Solaris 10, and it works fine.  On
OpenIndiana, the kernel panics during boot after I set the parameter.
Unfortunatly, it crashes too early to produce a crash dump.

I haven't found a matching bug in the bug database.  Is this a
known issue?  Is there a workaround?

I've tried this on oi_148 64-bit.

Greetings and thanks,
    Andy