[OpenIndiana-discuss] Gnome to become a Linux only project

Allan E. Registos allan.registos at smpc.steniel.com.ph
Fri May 20 05:14:48 UTC 2011

On Friday, 20 May, 2011 07:08 AM, Bayard Bell wrote:
> I've read most of the thread, and I don't see anyone drifting that way.
>
> Instead I see people saying that they aren't too worried about kFreeBSD because it's a "toy" OS and then some varying degrees of sectarianism and ecumenism about Linux distros. What I took away from it was that there are a handful of developers who have some very strong views favouring Linux specificity but that almost anyone identifying themselves as members of the GNOME foundation or with a gnome.org address has the desire to limit focus to a single platform and rather think that the project's social skills need improvement. It's probably not coincidental that the thread fires up around systemd integration and that it's RH people associated with systemd development appear a majority of the handful given to categorical assertions about the wisdom of narrowed platform specificity.
This rumor will become true when according to this article:
http://www.osnews.com/story/24762/GNOME_Discusses_Becoming_a_Linux-only_Project

    The fact of the matter is this, however: if systemd becomes an
    external dependency for GNOME-Shell, this is effectively what is
    happening anyway. GNOME-Shell requires systemd which requires Linux.
    For all intents and purposes, it would turn GNOME into a Linux-only
    project.