[OpenIndiana-discuss] Gnome to become a Linux only project

Ian Johnson itjohnson at gmail.com
Fri May 20 13:05:18 UTC 2011

This is definitely something we should keep an eye on, but I think some of
the worry is premature. The reaction to McCann's post from other GNOME
contributors seems to be overwhelmingly negative.

Something else I noticed, and consider very intriguing, is that Brian
Cameron chimed in, speaking for Oracle, with some encouraging words. I
assumed Oracle had anything desktop-related on the back burner, and
certainly wouldn't have expected them to step into this fray. Considering
the Solaris 10 history, I would not have been surprised to see Oracle stop
at GNOME 2.30 and drag it on as the "Oracle Solaris" desktop for five or six
years; if Oracle employees are weighing in, in an official capacity,
reaffirming the existing Sun investments in the project, I feel less
threatened by the comments of Linux heads like McCann.