[OpenIndiana-discuss] Update info?

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Tue May 24 02:21:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 09:10 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 24, 2011 08:51 AM, Gary wrote:
> > On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Ken Gunderson wrote:
> >
> >> Yeah, I read the thread, and that aspect I do agree with.  The part that
> >> irked me was the this makes things more familiar for Ubuntu Linux users
> >> (ir)rationale.
> >
> > I must have missed that part of the thread but sudo predates Linux by at
> > least ten years; http://www.gratisoft.us/sudo/history.html

As long as we're tuning up the way back machine... I first logged into
Unix at a little hole in the wall University in La Jolla in early 80's:

<http://hpwren.ucsd.edu/~hwb/NSFNET/NSFNET-200711Summary/>

Of course at the time I was not a compsci major and unaware of just how
lucky I had it... ;-P

> It's the same old Solaris admin versus Linux admin thingy. Any
> shortcomings/non-existing feature in Solaris are ignored/brushed off and
> anything remotely 'Linux' related gets put on the grill immediately.
>
> I can understand wanting to keep the same interfaces but making rabid
> attacks on stuff that are additional just because they are the current
> Linux practice is really irrational. Hence stuff like sudo is a Linux
> thing...

To be clear, I never implied that sudo was a Linux thing but rather
expressed my irritation over the "Ubuntu does it that way so we should
too" mentality of justification for the change.  (Not that there aren't
some good Linux distros out there.  Ubuntu just isn't one of them, as
many who've tried using in production have found out.)  Also not that
there weren't other justifications for changing default user role that
weren't justifiable, but in my mind to make things more Linux like is
not one of them.

--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>