[OpenIndiana-discuss] Update info?

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Tue May 24 12:26:33 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 09:21 +0100, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I too don't appreciate the flamewar on here of Solaris vs Linux, sudo vs pfexec.

With all due respect, I think the technical signal is high enough to
qualify as relevant discussion.

> If you don't like sudo, you don't have to use it. It's as simple as that.

Unless it's forced on you a'la Ubuntu.

> But bringing the default in-line with other modern-day Unixes such as MacOS and most of the major Linux distributions seems entirely sane to me. People expect sudo, therefore we will give them sudo. So if you don't like the default, I suggest you investigate distro-constructor.

MacOS had it's heday but that day is past.  Now it's OpenIndiana's turn.
Bringing things into conformance with other modern day *nices IS valid.
Targeting Ubuntu as the role model simply because it's currently in
vogue with relatively low tech Linux newbie type users is what I took
issue with.  Decisions should be founded on technical merit.  Not that
there wasn't some technical merit in adding an authentication component.

> RBAC/pfexec is in no way being deprecated and server administrators will be advised to make use of it for obvious reasons, such as auditing. But it's unreasonable to insist that users bend to fit the OS. You don't win users that way. Like it or not, Solaris is a minority fringe OS these days, and if we don't want to fade into obscurity further, decisions like this have to be made. This is the reality we are living in. Failing to accept the reality is not helpful for anyone.

True.  But I think it's also important to keep in mind _why_ Solaris
declined to fringe status.  Had Sun open sourced it 5 years sooner and
actually gotten the job done in a timely manner their employees may well
still be sporting @sun.com email addresses...

--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>