[OpenIndiana-discuss] Update info?

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Tue May 24 15:53:49 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 11:06 -0400, Dave Miner wrote:
> On 05/24/11 08:54 AM, Gary Mills wrote:

> >> With all due respect, I think the technical signal is high enough to
> >> qualify as relevant discussion.
> >
> > My preference would be to:
> >
> > 1. Make root a role
> > 2. Retain sudo as an option
> > 3. Find a secure way to use RBAC for system administration
> >

> Not surprisingly, that's what we are trying to do, the decision that
> prompted this sub-thread was about moving in that direction and removing
> a security issue we'd created with the experimentation in OpenSolaris
> releases.  RBAC. properly configured, is highly secure, but doesn't
> provide one important thing yet: authentication of the user (using his
> password) at the keyboard when assuming privileges.  A solution to that
> will happen and allow us to refine what we're doing with Solaris.
>
> Dave

Hi Dave:

Yeah, I get technical part of it.  My comments were meant to be taken in
context of sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek groan to the "just like Ubuntu"
familiarity goal, wh/upon subsequent review was made by Glenn Faden
rather than yourself.

Thanks for your time.

--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>