[OpenIndiana-discuss] NTPD and PPM issues?

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Fri May 27 18:29:42 UTC 2011

I have an openindiana virtual machine running under ESXi.  The vmware
tools are installed and timesync is disabled.  I have ntpd configured
and working with several servers in the us.pool.ntp.org subdomain.  It
all seems to work - comparing the time with 2 other virtual machines on
the same hypervisor indicates a match to the second.  Yet, on OI, I see
these messages every few minutes:

May 27 14:17:25 nas ntpd[282]: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] frequency error
-512 PPM exceeds tolerance 500 PPM

Neither of the other VMs running ntpd complain this way.  I'm not even
sure this is VM related or maybe some Opensolaris-related thing, so
forgive the possible waste of bandwidth (heck, I'm not even sure this is
really an issue, but I tend to be concerned when I see a lot of messages
like this...)

Any thoughts on this?  Thx!