[OpenIndiana-discuss] Update info?

Sriram Narayanan sriram at belenix.org
Sat May 28 13:15:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

<snip/>

>>> but you won't see deb distro guys going out of their way to make
>>> things familiar for rpm distro users and vice versa.
>>
>> You need to support both if you build Linux systems to customers.
>>

> But that is not the problem of the distro makers. The developers are the
> ones that need to learn the packaging system used by the distro and what
> is/is not available in the system provided packages. But I suppose the
> Indian guys (Belenix?) might get a better bait trap for developers if they
> pull off their rpm based distro. Oh, did I forget to mention that they do
> KDE too?

>From a distro perspective, the distro people usually write packaging
recipes for the various applications.

Given that the Belenix dev team is small, we decided to take the safe
we out. Please see my proposal to belenix-discuss, where I'd asked
that we use rpm5 instead of dpkg.

Here's the mail thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/belenix-discuss/browse_thread/thread/791584719bf563d9?pli=1

We're working steadily at the moment to move entirely to rpm5.

-- Sriram
--
Belenix: www.belenix.org