[OpenIndiana-discuss] A good and reliable SATA PCI, interface for a Supermicro X7BSi MB and OI148?

Eric D. Mudama edmudama at bounceswoosh.org
Mon May 30 16:07:01 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 30 at 15:11, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
>Yer right, yes
>>Just be aware that a bad esata connection can bring down the server.
>>I crashed my oi bacula server a few weeks ago while writing to a 3 x
>>esata disk set. The log was full of sata timeout issues on one port.
>
>I'm generally wary of eSATA, and I'm convinced I need to arrange some
>sort of quite sturdy and robust cable routing/fixing HW.
>
>I'm even thinking of going with bunched internal SATA cables in a
>screening tube, and fixing with cable ties and metal angle pieces.

eSATA would be way more reliable than that solution.  The problem most
people have with eSATA isn't the eSATA, it's the port multiplier on
the other end of the cable.

Unfortunately, I just don't think there's enough focus on making those
setups bulletproof, so SAS via something like a 9211-8e becomes a much
better answer for most folks for anything more than 1 external disk.

--
Eric D. Mudama
edmudama at bounceswoosh.org