[OpenIndiana-discuss] VirtualBox on OI

Chris Mosetick cmosetick at gmail.com
Tue May 31 21:00:38 UTC 2011

Sorry, somehow that got sent too early there,

I'm running VirtualBox 4.0.6 on OI b148. I'm using sparse zvols for storage,
rather than .vdi's. I'm very happy with the performance. (dedicated ZIL and
L2ARC devices help a lot) I'm taking snapshots using ZFS for these vbox
machines. All has been working great, I reluctantly started this machine
with vbox 4.0.4, and it's been great. Though as previously mentioned vbox
3.2.12 is truly solid on OI too.

If you are the type of guy who would consider using VirtualBox for your
hypervisor, then don't hesitate if you feel inclined to do so. I'm sure it
will treat you just fine. Definitely consider using zvols for storage if you
go with vbox.