[OpenIndiana-discuss] zfs recv problem

Ron Parker rdparker at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 00:51:23 UTC 2011

I wasn't sure where to report this, so I thought I'd start here.

I got the scare of my life today when I was doing a "zfs recv -v -F -d
tank < stream" and got the message:

receiving incremental stream of tank/vms at zfs-auto-snap_daily-... into
tank/vms at zfs-auto-snap_daily-...
cannot receive incremental stream: invalid backup stream

This is on OI151a and that particular file system was all of my
virtual machine images.

After googling and finding a report of this from zfsforlinux that
mentioned it had been fixed upstream, I determined it wasn't exactly
the same issue. It also reminded me that this had happened before
(with 147/8) and I had read the exact same posts back then before
figuring out a way around the problem, but hadn't taken the time to
report it anywhere.

So, what's the issue?

If timeslider kicks in while a "zfs recv" is running. It may create or
at least attempt to create a snapshot which interferes with the
on-going receive.

The "solution" is to temporarily turn off timeslider. Do your receive
and then turn it back on.

Now that you're done laughing, should it be considered a bug? Where
should this be reported?  Is there a better way to handle it?