[OpenIndiana-discuss] Memory drains away....

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Fri Nov 4 12:49:33 UTC 2011

I have always had this problem and it has never been resolved.  Does
anyone else see  this and is there a cure?

I have a v40z (although all of my boxes do it) 32gb ram 4 dual core
885s.  When you restart the server it shows about 27 gb free.  Over 12
hours this slowly degrades to about 1gb free and I start to notice a
slow down.  Once this drops down to 400mb stuff starts to really drag.
Setting the max zfs arc use does nothing.  This is using TOP.

If you look at the gnome performance monitor it will say you are only
using 2gb of ram yet there is degradation in performance (I assume for
slow memory clearing and reuse).

CPU states: 94.3% idle,  1.3% user,  4.4% kernel,  0.0% iowait,  0.0% swap
Kernel: 7755 ctxsw, 139 trap, 13034 intr, 22379 syscall, 120 flt, 136 pgin
Memory: 32G phys mem, 988M free mem, 16G total swap, 16G free swap

and this dropped below 1gb while I was typing this message.

--
Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson