[OpenIndiana-discuss] Memory drains away....

Michael Schuster michaelsprivate at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 13:01:40 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 13:56, Daniel Kjar <dkjar at elmira.edu> wrote:
> Just serving sunray sessions but this happens whether anyone is logged on
> (none last night) or not.  If somebody fires up something like a virtual
> machine it just speeds up the process.

hmm ... (haven't done this in a while ...) I'd suggest you
periodically (once every 10', perhaps)  'pmap' all processes and see
which grow most, and then look at those in detail (perhaps using pmap
-x, or starting those with LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libumem.so ...)

I'm sure other people have better ideas.

HTH
Michael

> On 11/ 4/11 08:53 AM, Michael Schuster wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> the obvious question to ask: what's the machine doing?
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 13:49, Daniel Kjar<dkjar at elmira.edu>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I have always had this problem and it has never been resolved.  Does
>>> anyone
>>> else see  this and is there a cure?
>>>
>>> I have a v40z (although all of my boxes do it) 32gb ram 4 dual core 885s.
>>>  When you restart the server it shows about 27 gb free.  Over 12 hours
>>> this
>>> slowly degrades to about 1gb free and I start to notice a slow down.
>>>  Once
>>> this drops down to 400mb stuff starts to really drag.  Setting the max
>>> zfs
>>> arc use does nothing.  This is using TOP.
>>>
>>> If you look at the gnome performance monitor it will say you are only
>>> using
>>> 2gb of ram yet there is degradation in performance (I assume for slow
>>> memory
>>> clearing and reuse).
>>>
>>> CPU states: 94.3% idle,  1.3% user,  4.4% kernel,  0.0% iowait,  0.0%
>>> swap
>>> Kernel: 7755 ctxsw, 139 trap, 13034 intr, 22379 syscall, 120 flt, 136
>>> pgin
>>> Memory: 32G phys mem, 988M free mem, 16G total swap, 16G free swap
>>>
>>> and this dropped below 1gb while I was typing this message.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Dr. Daniel Kjar
>>> Assistant Professor of Biology
>>> Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
>>> Elmira College
>>> 1 Park Place
>>> Elmira, NY 14901
>>> 607-735-1826
>>> http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar
>>>
>>> "...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
>>>        -E. O. Wilson

> --
> Dr. Daniel Kjar
> Assistant Professor of Biology
> Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
> Elmira College
> 1 Park Place
> Elmira, NY 14901
> 607-735-1826
> http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar
>
> "...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
>        -E. O. Wilson

Michael Schuster
http://recursiveramblings.wordpress.com/