[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 is out - so?

Edward Ned Harvey openindiana at nedharvey.com
Fri Nov 11 13:47:56 UTC 2011

> From: Gabriele Bulfon [mailto:gbulfon at sonicle.com]
>
> Oracle announced availabilty of Solaris 11.
> Do you notice any real news in the O.S. that OI/IllumOS has not?

How about a zpool version higher than 28?  AKA, all the stuff that's now in
closed source development.  Not in OI/Illumos.

> What is the status of the promised sources?

Sources were never promised.  We all want them, but I never believed they
were going to release them.  Did you ever listen to Larry talk about open
source?  There's this one in particular, where he says something like "We
used to spend tons of money developing our own http server, and then apache
came along, so we were able to fire all those people and use apache for
free, and sell it even though the customers could get it for free."  He was
so proud.  And I'm sure he's not willing to be on the other side of the
equation - allowing companies like apple, nexenta, etc, to make money off
the open source he pays to develop.  Don't count on seeing any open source,
IMHO.