[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 is out - so?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Fri Nov 11 17:03:12 UTC 2011

On 11/11/11 05:15, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Alan Coopersmith<alan.coopersmith at oracle.com>  writes:
>
>> On 11/10/11 23:00, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:
>>> Oracle announced availabilty of Solaris 11.
>>> Do you notice any real news in the O.S. that OI/IllumOS has not?
>>
>> http://blogs.oracle.com/darren/entry/completely_disabling_root_logins_on
>
> It appears to no longer even be possible to circumvent the suggested
> usage of root account and allow root logins.
>
> Anyone know for sure if it is still possible to enforce an old
> fashioned root account with regular login access?  If so how might it
> be done?
>
> On oi its no harder than `rolemod -K type=normal root' and then allow
> root login in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.
>
> That does not work on sol11.  Even editing /etc/ssh/sshd_config, there
> appears to be some extra editing needed on involving pam.

That's two different things there - one is allowing root to login as an
account directly, the other is allowing login via ssh, which wasn't
allowed by default in Solaris 9 or 10 with a normal root account either.

In any case, I believe both of those should be possible, but troubleshooting
what went wrong would be easier with details about which step failed.

Can you login as root on console?    Does ssh give some error message when
you connect?    Did you reset root's expired-by-default password first?

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com