[OpenIndiana-discuss] Where can I find a full Walk thru setting up nfs4 from scratch

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Nov 12 15:55:36 UTC 2011

Where can I find an up to date detailed description of setting up nfs4
from scratch on a home lan zfs server with linux nfs4 clients.

I've turned up loads of stuff googling, way too much to paw through it
all.

I'm running openindiana and have posted a similar request on that
group.

Some of the directions I've found insist on setting up nis.  Do I
really need nis to be setup to share fs with nfs on a home lan?

This is a home lan with no real internet address on the inner network,
just a homemade 192.168.1.0/24 setup.  With a domain name of
`local.lan'.

I'm not sure how that effects how I setup nfs4.

I need the most basic guidance on this... I do not have a working
knowledge of nfs.

Hopefully there is some url online for real greenhorns that describes
how to do this in detail.

When I start to edit /etc/default/nfs as described in some of the
directions I've found I see:

  # Moved to SMF. Use sharectl(1M) to manage NFS properties.

So at least several of the guides I've run across are apparently out
of date and insist on editing /etc/default/nfs.

Hard to tell what guides hold water for modern solaris and offshoots.