[OpenIndiana-discuss] getting cpan shell to `addhistory' (readline)

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Nov 16 21:31:56 UTC 2011

What else do I need to have installed besides `pkg:/library/readline'
in order for the cpan shell to be fully readline enabled.  That is,
capable of supplying `history' with up/down arrows.

I vaguely remember on other OSs needing term-readline... but I don't
see anything like that other than rxvt type term that comes up when I
do pkg search readline:
-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
basename        dir    usr/demo/readline                pkg:/library/readline at 5.2-0.151.1
basename        dir    usr/include/readline             pkg:/library/readline at 5.2-0.151.1

basename        file   usr/lib/urxvt/perl/readline      pkg:/terminal/urxvt at 9.12-0.151.1

description     set    GNU readline                     pkg:/library/readline at 5.2-0.151.1
pkg.description set    GNU readline library (5.2)       pkg:/library/readline at 5.2-0.151.1
pkg.fmri        set    openindiana.org/library/readline pkg:/library/readline at 5.2-0.151.1
pkg.summary     set    GNU readline                     pkg:/library/readline at 5.2-0.151.1

But installing that didn't help.  When I run `cpan' I still see:

  Terminal does not support AddHistory.
  Your OS does not support locking; continuing and ignoring all locking issues
  CPAN: Time::HiRes loaded ok (v1.9711)

  [...]

It may be relevant that I am sshed into the sol box from a `screen'
session on a linux box... my $TERM shows `screen'.  But I got the same
message when $TERM is xterm too.