[OpenIndiana-discuss] setting up nfs4 from scratch

Mark mark0x01 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 07:33:25 UTC 2011

On 17/11/2011 3:40 a.m., Harry Putnam wrote:
> Mark<mark0x01 at gmail.com>  writes:
>
> [...] Thanks for the very complete instructions.

No problem Harry, glad to help.

>    On my linux distro [debian wheezy] I see this in /etc/idmapd.conf
>
>    # set your own domain here, if id differs from FQDN minus hostname
>    # Domain = localdomain

On Centos I set this to the fqdn, but both ends must match.
You may also need /etc/hosts entries for the other server.

> And since `hostname -f (-f means show fqdn) shows my full
> hostname.local.domain  I guess that can stay commented.
>
>> nfs3 does not require the domain settings.
>> I use both nfs3 and nfs4, but GID/UID issues and ACLS can be tricky,
>> especially if you run cifs on the same file system as I do.
>
> So are you saying that even with the settings you posted... you still
> have trouble with windows boxes over of cifs?  Or do you mean your
> posted settings will avoid that happenstance?

The issues are mainly around ACL's, but in my case the files rsync
through multiple servers before landing, and most don't support ACL's.

> I'm trying just to run nfs4 so maybe it will not effect me.
nfs4 understands ACL's, but nfs3 doesn't.

> Oh, and what chmod cmd do you use on any shares to be shared with
> windows platforms?  In the past, for cifs, I've used:
>
>     chmod -R A=everyone@:full_set:fd:allow

When security isn't an issue, then this will be easier.
Files created from windows will probably end up showing different ACL's
as Windows uses different defaults, and nfs3 and 4 also will produce
different results, since one knows ACL's and one doesn't.
I just run a cron job to bash them back into what I want.

I'd go with a simple approach that works for you.

I haven't seen any major performance difference between cifs and nfs.

Mark.