[OpenIndiana-discuss] 3x LSI 9211-8i controllers + direct attach backplane -- appear as on controller

Mark mark0x01 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 22:48:00 UTC 2011

On 18/11/2011 12:51 a.m., Rich wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 11:52 PM, Eric D. Mudama
> <edmudama at bounceswoosh.org>  wrote:

>>> I don't like mpxio disk names -- they make me work too hard and create
>>> fear of
>>> doing the wrong thing.
>>>
>>> Long hex strings are much harder to distinguish than short strings and
>>> it's
>>> much easier to get confused between two devices.  humans are reasonably
>>> good
>>> at dealing with dense sets of small integers, and not quite so good at
>>> dealing
>>> with sparse sets of 64-bit and 128-bit values.
>>>
>>> are c2t5000C5002C68468Bd0 and c2t5000C5002C68468Bd0 the same or different?
>>> what about c2t5000C5002C68203Bd0 and c2t5000C5002C689ABFd0?
>>>
>>> are c2t5d0s0 and c2t6d0s0 the same or different?  how about sd5a and sd5a?
>>>
>>> how much time did each of those comparisons take you?  how quickly were
>>> you
>>> sure of your answer?
>>
>> The important part to me is that the 000C5002C68468B above is
>> typically printed on the label of the drive.  Put a little sticker on
>> your sled with the contained WWN, and you won't make the mistake of
>> grabbing the wrong drive from the array again. (They need a support
>> group for that)
>
> SES means you can blink the drive LED and, with a convenient mapping
> method, not have this issue again. :)
>
> - Rich
A simple "locate" application is still elusive, inspite of SES.

And LSI 6G SAS controllers lack SES support in the IT firmware, so I run
mine in IR mode (with no raid defined).

A single bad disk (SATA, SAS or FC) still stops the server dead while it
retries. ZFS really could do with kernel and driver tuning.
With a raid system, ignore a read error and just correct and deliver the
data, and then write it back which in most cases triggers a disk bad
sector replacement and the problem is sorted quickly.

Mark.