[OpenIndiana-discuss] some problem with oi151a

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Mon Nov 21 15:11:30 UTC 2011

darkblue wrote:
> 2011/11/21 James Carlson <carlsonj at workingcode.com>
>> You need to turn off graphical boot as well.  Use "d" in GRUB to remove
>> the spashimage, foreground, and background lines, and then remove
>> "console=graphics" from the kernel$ line.  That should allow you to do a
>> text-only boot
>

> thanks, it work for me, and OI-151 hang on:
>
> pseudo-device: ramdisk1024
> ramdisk1024 is /pseudo/ramdisk at 1024
> pseudo-device: ucode0
> ucode is /pseudo/ucode at 0
>
> what does it mean, I google the last line and found nothing.

The "ucode" driver does CPU-related microcode updates at boot time.  I
don't know that area of the code well enough to know whether that's
what's going wrong, or if you possibly have another driver or structural
problem (such as broken BIOS data).

Besides searching for a guru in this area of the code, my next step
would be to boot the kernel under kmdb with "-K", break to a prompt at
the hang, and use $c to find out where it's stuck (and ::threadlist -v
to see what else is going on).  It might show something interesting.